Aristotle University Of Thessaloniki Research Committee Urban And Regional Innovation Research (URENIO), Greece
The Urban and Regional Innovation Research Unit is a university laboratory for the promotion of research and supply of scientific and technological services. URENIO is part of the Department of Urban and Regional Planning in the Faculty of Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
Main Research Fields:
- Models of territorial systems of innovation (technology districts, clusters, technology parks, RIS-regions, open innovation ecosystems).
- Innovation processes (intelligence, technology transfer, learning, collaborative innovation, new product development, spin-offs).
- Digital spaces and platforms supporting innovation practices and policies.
- Projects on digital / intelligent / smart cities;
- Development of IT platforms / applications for intelligent cities;
- Global watch on intelligent cities via the URENIO site (www.urenio.org);
- Postgraduate course: “Intelligent cities and systems of innovation”;
- Spin off company: INTELSPACE SA;
- Numerous publications on innovation and intelligent cities and regions.
URENIO is mainly involved in competitive projects from the European R&D Framework Programmes (FP) and the Innovative Actions of the European Regional Development Fund. The Unit took part in numerous projects funded by national and international research institutions and the European Commission.
The permanent staff of URENIO is about 20 people. Scientific areas and qualifications of the staff cover urban and regional development, chemical and mining engineering, electrical and electronic engineering, architecture, sociology, economics, applied mathematics and statistics.